How to plan a brilliant Diwali/Holiday SEO campaign
As soon as the festive (Diwali) season comes up, the offline and online market gets into the glittery mode. Synonymous to the festive season, heavy discounts and offers start doing round over Internet, TV, mall and offline stores. Our email box, social media feeds, and the entire Internet is flooded with countless festive offer advertisement by marketers. To stand out in the flood of digital marketing campaigns, it is important to plan your campaign well in advance. To start off with planning and designing a cost-effective online campaign, SEO is the way, to begin with. SEO is the only way, which could push any business, product or service towards its relevant target audience in the most organic way. And when it comes to Indian festive season, it’s better to start off at least 90 days prior to D-Day (Diwali).
SEO demands time and simultaneous efforts in all corners like technical issues, content, user experience, design etc. So, if you are thinking to push out your brand and its offers organically, then better start off on time, especially in case of E-com business where a large number of product pages, inventory, and offers is a big deal to manage.
Ahead of this, we’ll dig in deep into the strategy & tactics behind creating a successful SEO campaign for holiday (Diwali) season.
Business Goal – To drive organic traffic specifically looking for Diwali offers and gifts to the business website’s offer page.
What are people searching for?
- Identify & Target Specific Interest Audience – The first and most important step towards the execution of a successful holiday SEO campaign is identifying the target audience, may it be festive, offer or holiday-specific. Doing thorough research of previous year festive/holiday season search trends and queries is important to predict the anticipated search behavior of users. For example, we often see the spike in search volume for terms like “Diwali offers on Groceries”, “Gifts for Diwali”, “Diwali Gifts Under XX Rupees” etc. in the month of Sept-Oct i.e. one or two months prior to the festival day (Diwali). So, it’s important to first identify the audience and its search behavior and then target them accordingly by modifying the content, meta data and other updates on the platform.
- Tweaking Offers Landing Page – For an e-commerce platform, the creation of unique landing page for every festival or holiday occasion could be a troublesome task. The existence of multiple offer pages could also bring up difficult situation for the business like the duplicate content issue, difficulty for search bots in providing importance to the most relevant & authoritative page (ideally the nearest & most relevant festive offer page). So, it’s better to stick to our evergreen offers landing page with some tweaks in designing and content update as per the upcoming festival/holiday season. This helps in leveraging rankings as well as relevant traffic with the help of long built “offers” page authority over time.
- Don’t Forget the User Experience – While shifting the gears towards holiday season changes in design, creative offer banners, buttons, content and between all other major or minor changes on the website, don’t forget the UX part. Often, many marketers commit the mistake of ignoring the user experience factor like page speed, page layout, design, responsiveness etc. while glittering up their websites with heavy videos, banner images and content.
- Leveraging Traffic – Apart from holiday/festival offer landing page, it’s important to look for smart ways and spots to leverage the traffic, we’re already receiving through SEO. For majority of E-com websites, it is their homepage, which acquires the largest SEO traffic on website. So, there could be no better place than homepage to advertise the festival offer page to the established audience base with attractive banners, buttons and navigational links. This allows us to leverage the traffic we were already receiving apart from building new traffic chunk for the festive offer landing page.
Key Takeaways –
- Keyword/search terms strategies is the key player for a successful festive SEO campaign. Thorough analysis of previous year’s best and most relevant festive search terms targeted, GA (Google Analytics) page conversion, traffic and keywords data serves as an insightful starting point for organic strategy.
- Sticking to the evergreen offers landing page for festival/holiday season helps in achieving rankings swiftly within expected timeframe due to page authority and legacy factor.
- Seasonal content update on offers as well as on other potential areas of website brings the festive appeal for the audience. Also, the refreshed content serves as new food for search bots and helps in uplifting the business visibility in organic search results.
So folks, as mentioned above it is imperative to understand the nature of SEO campaign and act on time accordingly i.e. at least 90 days prior to the big day. Apart from this, searches seasonality and nature like branded searches specific to certain brand’s product for example Cadbury Chocolates Gift Pack are very popular among Diwali and non-branded searches specific to certain categories like Diwali gifts for kids (demography specific), Diwali sweets gift pack (product category specific) should be analysed and targeted smartly.